How to Ace an Interview
Congratulations! You have just landed an interview for what could be a wonderful new job. Now what? A successful interview will be essential for you to lock in a job offer, and this is your chance to impress the interviewer enough to get hired.
Taking the time to prepare will make the interview process, which can be lengthy, run smoothly. So, here’s advice on how to ace a job interview:
- Conduct Company Research – Research should always be your first step after accepting an interview. Gathering background information on employers is crucial to successful interview preparation.
- Use Your Connections to Get the Inside Scoop – If you know someone who works at the organization or who can put you in touch with a current or former employee, you’ll be able to gather information that can give you an advantage over the other applicants. Check LinkedIn to see if you have contacts at the company you can use to get insider information.
- Take the Time to Practice – Practice makes perfect (or at least leads to improvement). Conduct practice interviews with a friend or family member and ask for their feedback.
- Dress for Interview Success – Decide what to wear before the interview day. Your first impression is very important, and what you wear is a big part of that first impression. Therefore, you want to make sure you look professional and appropriate for the work environment.
- Use your Manners! – Remember that it’s not only the hiring manager who makes the decision on who to hire. Be polite and gracious to everyone you meet from the time you walk in the door to when you leave. The people you meet could be your future co-workers, so make the best impression on them that you can.